3 mile run
When I walked into the grocery store and saw figs were on sale last week, I knew I wanted pizza. Have you ever had figs on a pizza before? When combined with savory ingredients, it can be glorious. Caramelized onions are the easiest thing the whip up on the stove and make for a great pizza topper. Bacon, same deal. The addition of peppery arugula balances everything out really well and adds a nice fluffy crunch with every bite. Plus, it's pretty - really pretty. Brent was enamored.
Fig, Caramelized Onion, and Bacon Pizza with Arugula
1 lb raw pizza dough (can be found in the deli section of the grocery store)
1/2 Tbsp cornmeal
6 Tbsp fig spread or jam
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
2 ounces cranberry/cinnamon or regular goat cheese, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp oil
2 strips bacon, diced
6 black figs, thinly sliced
3 C arugula, tossed in 1 tbsp oil and lightly sprinkled with salt
- Allow pizza dough to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes; this makes it less elastic and easier to work with.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Lightly flour a large piece of parchment paper and roll the dough out as thin as possible (about a 10" x 17" rectangle if using a baking sheet). Sprinkle a baking sheet evenly with cornmeal to prevent it from sticking to the pan when cooked. Taking the parchment paper by either end, flip the dough over to transfer onto the baking sheet. It comes off easily from the parchment paper this way. Lightly oil the dough and sprinkle with salt.
- Spoon the fig spread over the pizza dough and spread evenly using the back of the spoon. Place the mozzarella slices and goat cheese slices evenly over the pizza. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until crust is light golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
- While the pizza is cooking, melt the butter and oil over low heat and add the onions. Cook on low, stirring often to prevent burning, until browned and caramelized. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- While the onions are caramelizing, cook the diced bacon in a small frying pan over medium heat. Transfer to a paper towel and set aside.
- When the pizza has cooked, remove from the oven. Evenly spread the caramelized onions, bacon bits, and sliced figs over the pizza. Return to the oven for 1 additional minute. Remove and evenly pile the arugula over the pizza.