Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Wyatt: 11 Months


11 months old and as sweet as can be! It's amazing how big a personality such a small person can have.

This age is my absolute favorite but also, the most exhausting so far. He never stops, this one. And I know it's only going to get worse once those magical first steps happen. We're traveling to Michigan for Thanksgiving next month, so let's hope he holds off until after then. It'll be a close one, I'm sure. 


Wyatt is into pretty much everything these days. He's a little terror. He cyclones through the kitchen daily while I'm making dinner until at least half the pots and pans and plastic measuring cups are splayed out all over the floor. I've had to rearrange the cabinets so that all the unbreakables are at the front - to me, this seems so much more manageable than having to deal with locks on all the cabinets every time I need to access something (aside from the under-the-sink-cleaning-supply cabinet). Rather than close up the kitchen like Fort Knox, we're going to take the "freedom within reason" approach. So far, Wyatt is pretty good with learning the word NO, and let's be honest, I'm always within 5 feet of this child, so I'm there to supervise. For him, it's a constant learning experience, and it keeps him occupied while I get dinner ready, so it's a win-win. So until he learns he can hide in the cabinets, he has free reign.


Books are his current obsession. Reading them? Of course not. He quite prefers flipping the pages aggressively and babbling like he's pretending to read. He could be playing with any other toy, and the second you land a book in front of him, he's done for. Twenty minutes of entertainment, right there - which is essentially an hour in parent-time.


Another strong favorite is pretending everything is a telephone. He grabs whatever object is closest, whether it be a stuffed animal, blanket, my wallet, an actual play phone, or my recent favorite, a (clean) diaper - he holds it up to his ear and talks into it then hands it over to you and waits for you to talk into it. It's adorable.


Wyatt has always been a fantastic sleeper, and he continues to do so. He sleeps about 11 hours at night (7pm-6am), and he takes 2 good naps during the day (one in the morning, one mid-afternoon). He's been frequenting the toddler room at daycare since he's now the oldest in the infant room, and he's absolutely thriving there. We can tell he's been around the slightly older kids because he is desperate to take those first steps, and he's also picked up some not-so-desirable habits, like tantrums when you take something away from him that he shouldn't have. Not cool, toddlers, not cool. 


It's hard for me to believe we only have one more of these monthly posts to go before my little boy turns one. I absolutely love this age, but I can already feel the memories of Wyatt as a newborn slowly slipping away. Of course, I can never totally forget. But I find it difficult to remember how hard everything was back then. Surely, he was always this fun and energetic, no? I hardly remember that there was a time he couldn't hold a toy, he couldn't sit up on his own, he couldn't follow me around.  At this time last year, I was preparing to begin my maternity leave, and I had yet to even meet him and learn the ups and downs of being a parent - and now here we are, less than a month away from his first birthday, and I'm a blubbering mess of emotions. This has been the best 11 months of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment