Monday, March 24, 2014

Corn and Black Bean Salsa

Yesterday's Workout:
5 miles

This weekend, it hit 50 degrees by Saturday afternoon, so Brent deemed it a good time to test out our new grill. Man oh man, I don't know how we survived so long without one! We had managed to prepare a decent steak by first searing on the stove stop then transferring it to the oven to broil, and we've perfected that over the last few years. Our method worked for some time, but steak just isn't the same if it's not grilled. I feel like my life is whole again. Now if only the weather will cooperate so we can do this more often, we'll be all set.

Alongside our steak, Brent julienned tri-colored peppers and marinated them in a lemon, oil, rosemary, parsley drizzle before grilling. If you closed your eyes and took a bite, you could swear it was mid-July. What really made the meal feel like summer though was the corn and black bean salsa I made on the side. I stumbled across this recipe on Food Gawker this week and stashed it away for safe keeping, which just happened to be Saturday. I know there are multiple variations of this salsa out there, and I feel like I've tried a dozen over the years, but this one is by far my favorite. The proportions of each ingredient are just perfect. I have a feeling I'll be making it weekly this summer to go on top of salads. It's really good served as a heaping pile in a tortilla scoop, and just as delicious by the spoonful. Do it.


Corn and Black Bean Salsa

Ingredients:
1, 16 oz bag of frozen corn, cooked and drained
1, 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 C red onion, diced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 avocados, diced
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
Juice of 2 limes, or 3 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:

  • Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to evenly distribute. 
  • Serve cold with chips, on salad, or eat by the spoonful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment