Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DIY Wedding: Sea glass candy favors

 

I had already finished my glass coaster favors (future post!) when I came across this absolutely ADORABLE idea for a beach-themed wedding favor: sea glass candy.

I didn't care that I already had favors, I HAD TO HAVE THIS SEA GLASS CANDY at my wedding. The tins I purchased came with personalized stickers, so I kept it simple and just used those. Feel free to decorate the tins however you like!


To go with our color theme, I made blue and yellow sea glass candy, flavored raspberry and banana respectively.


What you will need:
  • Small candy tins/containers - I bought these from The Knot: $17.50 for a 24 pack, and you can select a personalized sticker for each. 
  • 2 C granulated sugar
  • 3/4 C water
  • 3/4 C light corn syrup (I recommend using light so that it does not affect your color in the end)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp flavoring oil (I used raspberry and banana extract, found in Shaws)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp coloring dye (I used blue and yellow, found in Shaws)
  • Confectioners sugar for dusting
The How-To:
*Please refer to this link for step-by-step pictures - they were very helpful!
  1. Grease a cookie sheet with butter.
  2. Measure and pour into a medium saucepan: granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water. Place over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Once dissolved, you can ditch that spoon, no need to stir.
  3. Without stirring, boil the mixture until a candy thermometer reads between 300 and 310. Note: If you're like me and don't own a candy thermometer because you will likely never make candy again in your life, make sure to keep an eye on the clock during the process. From when the sugar dissolves until the candy boiling is done, it took between 25-30 minutes. Once you've hit the 25 minute mark, drop a small amount of the boiling candy mixture into a glass of ice water. When it separates into brittle strands and is rock hard to the touch in the ice water, that means it's ready. If it's still kind of soft  in the ice water, then it needs to keep boiling. 
  4. Once you've seen the brittle form in the ice water (or your thermometer reads between 300 and 310), remove the pan from the heat and let the boiling subside.
  5. Measure flavoring oil and food coloring into candy mixture. Blend with a wooden spoon - you'll notice it gets a little steamy for a few seconds. I recommend going 1/4 tsp at a time with the food coloring until you reach your desired color. 
  6. Pour your candy mix onto your greased cookie sheet and let cool. I recommend letting it set on a very flat surface for 15 minutes before putting it in the fridge for another 1/2 hour or so. 
  7. Once cooled and completely hardened, cover the candy with parchment paper and tap with a mallet to shatter candy into small pieces. 
  8. Using a basting brush, coat candy pieces with confectioner's sugar. Note: I actually just poured some confectioner's sugar over the broken pieces right on the cookie sheet, and mixed it together well so that all the pieces had a light coating. It helps keep the candy from sticking together.
  9. Fill your mini favor tins with your desired amount of sea glass candy. Your guests are going to LOVE this sweet, delicious favor!
I was actually shocked at how easy it was to make the candy. The part that bugged me the most was the cleaning up after. I noticed the residual candy in the saucepan hardened and stuck very tightly to the sides of the pan. So want to know a trick? Fill your pan with water and bring to a boil. Your candy will dissolve right off. Put your wooden spoon in the boiling water as well to get rid of the food coloring. Works like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment