Friday, April 13, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Creamy Avocado Pesto

I think about food....a lot. Don't you guys?

Really though, this whole training thing has got me EXTREMELY hungry lately - seriously, I'm consuming a few hundred calories more per day now to curb my uncontrollable appetite! I get home from work, run my 4-7 miles, eat dinner (typically lean protein + vegetable), and an hour later, I'm feeling like I need to eat again.  I realized that I eat pretty much every hour now, and I'm trying to keep it as healthy as possible. I also started incorporating more carbs back into my meals at night for added energy during my runs.

Which brings me to this week's recipe...

CREAMY. AVOCADO. PESTO.

Nope, there's no cream in the recipe. The dish gets its creamy texture totally from the avocado - and it's SO much healthier for you!

I made some adjustments to this recipe I found to make it more of a traditional pesto.

Forgive the heaping pile of Parmesan - what can I say, I like my cheese

Go buy a nice ripe avocado and a big bunch of fresh basil on your way home, and MAKE THIS. It takes all of 15 minutes, and it is absolutely DELICIOUS

Creamy Avocado Pesto

Ingredients:
1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C fresh basil
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 box of pasta (I used traditional spaghetti)

Preparation:
  • Bring water to a boil in large sauce pan. Add pasta and cook until al dente. 
  • While pasta is cooking, place avocado, garlic, salt, basil, and Parmesan cheese into a food processor and blend until creamy paste is formed. 
  • Slowly add olive oil until smooth. Finally, add lemon juice and process until completely smooth.
  • When pasta is cooked, strain and transfer to large bowl.
  • Pour the creamy avocado pesto over the pasta and combine well to evenly coat pasta.
  • Serve with extra fresh grated Parmesan cheese. 

*The pasta kept well for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment